Welcome to the meandering musical insights of Aaron Joy (me!), formerly known as the Roman Midnight Music Blog. Here you'll find nearly 750 reviews of CDs & DVDs of rock & metal in all its variations, mainstream & indie, good & bad, U.S. & foreign. A new review every Monday.

Please share these reviews & feel free to copy them to your website or link to them. No downloads to be found here.

Are you a musician with an album?? Please e-mail me (aronmatyas @ hotmail.com) your album, EPK, etc. Or, hit me up for a physical address (I'm in Portland, Maine). If you don't have an EPK, I have a soft spot for personal handwritten letters from the local musician who just plays around town. I'm a bassist & do this blog partly to share music I love & partly to help the little guy, like myself, just looking for some attention. Promo companies are always welcomed to reach out.

You can support this blog by buying my books via amazon, or your local bookseller, or seeing my website www.aaronjoyauthor.weebly.com.

August 22, 2022

Vamp ~ The Rich Don't Rock (album review) ... This album rocks, but you've heard it before!


Style: hard rock, hair metal

Label: Atlantic
Year: 1989
Home: Germany

Members: Tom Bellini ~ vocals
Ricolf Cross ~ guitar

Oliver Scholz ~ bass
Dicki Fliszar ~ drums
 

 


I was told this band was like Firehouse & absolutely worth a listen. I'm a huge Firehouse from day one. I have all their albums. I even supported an indie musician who I didn't have much response to musically because he worked with with one of the members. Sorry, this is not Firehouse. Its only Firehouse in that both singers are tenors & the bands are in the same '80's mold. Firehouse had great ballads that were almost over the top ... not to be found here. They also had a personality ... also not found here. I would call Germany's Vamp not so much Firehouse as more like the non-AOR side of Danger Danger sound-wise. I love Danger Danger, but they demonstrated a lot of under-rated diversity on their debut ... only barely heard here, like the band was hesitant to stretch out. Mike Pont's Hotshot, who I have reviewed, also comes to mind with "Heartbreak, Heartbreak". Hotshot was a band that splintered out of Danger Danger's pre-debut album line-up. They never did an album, but have become famous for including original Danger Danger guitarist Al Pitrelli, i.e. future Megadeth, Alice Cooper, Trans-Siberian Orchestra. The difference is Pitrelli, even as a young guitar slinger, had a distinctive melodic approach to soloing. Distinctiveness ... missing from Vamp. If you like the Scorpions you'll like "Renegades" and "Love Games." "Like I Want" reminded me a bit of W.A.S.P.. Just a bit though, as they are not nearly as forced. I might also name-drop Y&T, but the point has been made that this band sounds like so many other bands. What is Vamp bringing to the table? Good playing? Good singing? Yes. But, so do others. Is there anything here that sounds like their own personality? No. If I played this album for you would you be able to say this is Vamp, versus Baton Rouge or Dangerous Toys or the Scorpions or whoever? Likely not. There's nothing here to grab on to that makes you want to come back for more or hear more, let alone recognize the band. This album never succeeded commercially. Some blame it on the label, but honestly they just have nothing unique to lift them up in the market place. The Scorpion like moments are the best, might be the ones I'd recommend to listen to. So much of the rest of the album feels like filler with no singles jumping out at me. Those that like this genre of music will likely rate this album high, because they like this style but not because they are being honest with themselves that this is a band meant for long-term success. I will confess I've been called prudish in my reviews, & told I don't like music that just rocks with the cock. That's not true in the least. I just think guys are obsessed with their cocks, as in who has the best, so why not play like yours is the best? That's not being prudish, but just wanting you to show me your stuff. I'm not gay, but I want to be converted by your junk. Or, its just ... junk. There is a 2012 deluxe version of this album released later with a ton of unreleased demos and a band interview. 

No comments:

Post a Comment