Welcome to the meandering musical insights of Aaron Joy (me!), formerly known as the Roman Midnight Music Blog. Here you'll find nearly 750 reviews of CDs & DVDs of rock & metal in all its variations, mainstream & indie, good & bad, U.S. & foreign. A new review every Monday.

Please share these reviews & feel free to copy them to your website or link to them. No downloads to be found here.

Are you a musician with an album?? Please e-mail me (aronmatyas @ hotmail.com) your album, EPK, etc. Or, hit me up for a physical address (I'm in Portland, Maine). If you don't have an EPK, I have a soft spot for personal handwritten letters from the local musician who just plays around town. I'm a bassist & do this blog partly to share music I love & partly to help the little guy, like myself, just looking for some attention. Promo companies are always welcomed to reach out.

You can support this blog by buying my books via amazon, or your local bookseller, or seeing my website www.aaronjoyauthor.weebly.com.

May 3, 2013

Haverford ~ Wisdom Lost (EP) (album review) ... Keeping their eye on the groove!


Style: alt rock, shoegazing
Label: self-released
Year: 2012
Home: Long Island, New York

Members: Anthony Stano, Billy Mannino, Connor Ramert, Kevin Burke, Mark Masterson ~ n/a


Moody hypnotic lines, lazy mists of laid back grooves, reserved singing, & short & sweet songs that never go on too long after stating their thesis ... though they also unanimously fail to lead to a climax or feel developed with a couple songs lasting under two minutes. Maybe it's the fact there's no guitar solos just harmony lines, but Haverford obviously have their eye on grooves versus showy solos & I'd recommend they let these grooves develop. Let the hypnotic quality be developed. You don't have to have solos to fill up the space but by cutting things short there ends up feeling like there's space here waiting to be filled up. Haverford formed in 2012 & come from the same mold as Death Cab For Cutie & Dowsing, though I can hear subtle shades of Built To Spill if they'd be more adventuresome. Wisdom Lost is their first EP & their currently working on songs for their first full length.

No comments:

Post a Comment