Welcome to the meandering musical insights of Aaron Joy (me!), formerly known as the Roman Midnight Music Blog. Here you'll find nearly 750 reviews of CDs & DVDs of rock & metal in all its variations, mainstream & indie, good & bad, U.S. & foreign. A new review every Monday.

Please share these reviews & feel free to copy them to your website or link to them. No downloads to be found here.

Are you a musician with an album?? Please e-mail me (aronmatyas @ hotmail.com) your album, EPK, etc. Or, hit me up for a physical address (I'm in Portland, Maine). If you don't have an EPK, I have a soft spot for personal handwritten letters from the local musician who just plays around town. I'm a bassist & do this blog partly to share music I love & partly to help the little guy, like myself, just looking for some attention. Promo companies are always welcomed to reach out.

You can support this blog by buying my books via amazon, or your local bookseller, or seeing my website www.aaronjoyauthor.weebly.com.

September 1, 2010

Proud ~ Fire Breaks The Dawn (album review) ... An unknown blast from the past gem!

Style: heavy metal
Label: EMI
Year: 1984
Home: Sweden

Members: Anders Magnell ~ vocals
Peter Horvath, Magnus Olson ~ guitars
Bobby Horvarth ~ bass
Anders Holmqvist ~ drums

This unknown gem from the past features a hard dose of powerhouse metal a la the thrash tradition, albeit, there was no thrash tradition in 1984 so it's probably more accurate to say it's probably a la Judas Priest. When I first started listening to the album I didn't jump up out of my seat to write a review. It's a bit predictable as this style goes. Then, I got to track 3 "United World." Then, I went back to track 1 to re-listen until I got to track 3 again. Then, I did it again. Then, I realized that I had to write something about this band, even if a short word. I normally listen to albums straight through, both casually & for these reviews. Once in awhile, bison b.c., Graham Bonnett & Live being other once in a whiles, I get stuck at the beginning of an album not wanting to go on because the album has opened with a bang. Though this band is dated & predictable sounding the magic seeps into you. What caught my ear was the twin Judas Priest-esque distorted guitars riffing away. At first I thought I was just going to hear a bunch of buzz saws chopping logs, but actually the riffs are incredibly melodic & intricate with the two guitars often echoing each other but it's so subtle you miss it. It's like watching waves in the ocean not noticing the crabs scurrying around until you step in. This is a band that came & went but left this single slab of amazing under-heard metal, even though it was released on a major label. & if you're wondering, it's all in English.

No comments:

Post a Comment