Welcome to the meandering musical insights of Aaron Joy (me!), formerly known as the Roman Midnight Music Blog. Here you'll find nearly 750 reviews of CDs & DVDs of rock & metal in all its variations, mainstream & indie, good & bad, U.S. & foreign. A new review every Monday.

Please share these reviews & feel free to copy them to your website or link to them. No downloads to be found here.

Are you a musician with an album?? Please e-mail me (aronmatyas @ hotmail.com) your album, EPK, etc. Or, hit me up for a physical address (I'm in Portland, Maine). If you don't have an EPK, I have a soft spot for personal handwritten letters from the local musician who just plays around town. I'm a bassist & do this blog partly to share music I love & partly to help the little guy, like myself, just looking for some attention. Promo companies are always welcomed to reach out.

You can support this blog by buying my books via amazon, or your local bookseller, or seeing my website www.aaronjoyauthor.weebly.com.

June 6, 2022

Fisc ~ Handle With Care (album review) ... Slightly improved more of the same!


Style: hard rock, glam metal
Label: N.E.W. Musidisc
Year: 1988
Home: France

 
Members:Jimmy Martin ~ vocals
Alain Aime, Jean-Michel Mauffray ~ guitars
Dominique Henry ~ drums
Pierre Bechet ~ bass

Additional: Scott Gorham ~ keyboards
Dave McClain, Greg Youtsey, Mike Thomas, Scott Gorham ~ b. vocals


Sometimes a band strikes me as, honestly, not very good. Strange as it may seem, this actually sometimes drives me to seek out more of their music. Maybe I want to know if they are really bad, or maybe I want to know if I just heard a band album or bad line-up, or maybe they are huge & I want to figure out why I'm totally missing what the hype is all about, or maybe I just want to verify my instincts. Sometimes I find my first impressions are wrong, & I just was missing the good stuff. Sometimes I realize I'm not a fan of a band, but I've done my leg work & can justify with a list of valid reasons why I don't like them or may just like a few hits. Sometimes I still don't get it & just figure fans must be wrong, or just like the band because its their fave or sounds like something they like. I'll even accept the criticism that I'm overly critical of some music, but when there's so much amazing music out there why settle for anything but the best & why call someone the best when they really aren't? If you have a choice between Lil Wayne's guitar playing vs Steve Howe, or Nick Cave's lyrics vs Rok's of Sadistik Exekution (known for singing the word "fukk" over & over & over in every song), I don't think I'm being overly critical by saying music doesn't have to be dumb to rock nor do we have to say Rok is the next Jim Morrison or Lil Wayne the next Joe Satriani. Let's be honest. We're not doing each other any favors by declaring non-sense. So, all that being said, I turn to Fisc's 4th & final album Handle With Care. I've previously reviewed their 3rd album Too Hot For Love. My summary was they were the kings of imitation, to the point where zero personality of their own comes through. They were so much imitation that it just made me sad, particularly as it cast a shadow over anything good they had to offer. I did mention how their frontman had a baritone versus the expected tenor, which helped differentiate them a little. So, I decided to give them another listen coming across this album. They're so bad, I couldn't resist & was I right or wrong? Here the singer taps into more of his higher range & the songs aren't all fast rockers. They are slowed down & stripped back for a more creative output. There is also a great instrumental showing off the bassist & guitarist in "Got To Beat The Clock." I would like to hear more of this one. Overall, this is the better of the two albums & the one I would recommend listening to. By far. But, its still so incredibly imitative outside of a few moments, that it fails in all the same way. It even opens the same with a soft guitar before going into some power chords. Not good & its sets up the album poorly essentially telling the listener that they've heard this before. This album sounds a lot like the Scorpions. There's even the compressed clipped drums on "Let Met Leave" that the Scorpions are known for. The other album was not so Scorpions, so Fisc have shown us they are good imitator. I recommend "Hold Your Head Up" & the instrumental as all you'll need to hear. I realized listening to this but a day after the other album I couldn't remember at all what the earlier album sounded like, which is not a good sign. Bands kept coming to mind who they sound like. Very sad state of affairs. So bland. Its no wonder their time came when it did after nearly a decade in existence. If as far as they got is a lackluster being everyone else with no personality of their own, its shocking they lasted this long. The changed line-ups likely kept things moving. Coming back to the instrumental "Got To Beat The Clock" ... I feel like they could have done a great powerhouse guitar album with only half the songs as vocals & maybe gone farther in their career. This one song has more personality than both albums combined. They've got the skills, no doubt, but just a huge damper on their creativity. Imitation is great, but you have to make it your own. These guys spent too long imitating & for one moment let their creativity fly. Too little too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment