Welcome to the meandering musical insights of Aaron Joy (me!), formerly known as the Roman Midnight Music Blog. Here you'll find nearly 750 reviews of CDs & DVDs of rock & metal in all its variations, mainstream & indie, good & bad, U.S. & foreign. A new review every Monday.

Please share these reviews & feel free to copy them to your website or link to them. No downloads to be found here.

Are you a musician with an album?? Please e-mail me (aronmatyas @ hotmail.com) your album, EPK, etc. Or, hit me up for a physical address (I'm in Portland, Maine). If you don't have an EPK, I have a soft spot for personal handwritten letters from the local musician who just plays around town. I'm a bassist & do this blog partly to share music I love & partly to help the little guy, like myself, just looking for some attention. Promo companies are always welcomed to reach out.

You can support this blog by buying my books via amazon, or your local bookseller, or seeing my website www.aaronjoyauthor.weebly.com.

June 20, 2022

U.D.O. ~ Dominator (album review) ... Metal perfection!


Style: heavy metal, speed metal
Label: AFM
Year: 2009
Home: Germany

Members: Udo Dirkschneider ~ vocals
Stefan Kaufmann ~ guitars/keyboards
Igor Gianola ~ guitars
Fitty Wienhold ~ bass/keyboards
Francesco Jovino ~ drums

Guest: Mathias Dieth ~ lead guitar



This is a perfect slab of metal. Listen to it. Tell me if you disagree in the comments. End of story. I've listened to this multiple times over multiple days, actually more like non-stop over multiple days, & I've yet to hear anything that isn't perfect about this album. This is the album I've wanted so many bands to make. This is the album I was expecting to hear from bands like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Kiss & others, but got something that everyone has rightfully forgotten. This stomping beast reminds me a lot of Halford & Judas Priest at their later day best, but with more emphasis on groove than screaming vocals & thunderous riffs & atmospheric moments. It has all the ingredients right for some heavy as fuck melodic metal, whether driving rockers or lush power ballads: interesting lyrics, great singing with lots of variety, backing vocals that sound fierce vs the typical big gang vocals, riffs that are more than just notes but actually are moody & scary, addictive melodies & stomping rhythms that sound like giant robots walking, thick guitars that don't ever get too muddy or try to out riff each other, & even just the right amount of atmospheric keyboards. Even the 1930's-esque cabaret of "Devils Rendezvous" is delightful, though it shouldn't work & likely wouldn't on any other album. It provides a breathing moment before the album closes with some moody speed metal & a big keyboard heavy power ballad in "Whispers In The Dark" that feels a bit like some of Ozzy's work. Dominator keeps your interest from start to finish with a masterfully produced thick wall of sound full of little nuances that will have you head-banging or listening in for the details. I listened to this following writing the reviews of Accept's classics Restless & Wild & Balls To The Wild. I chose the album because it got decent reviews on allmusic. I haven't heard anything else from Udo solo, but can he do no wrong or am I just listening to the best of his catalog? I could go on, but I really have no words to describe the beauty & wonder of the beautiful album. Just listen. If you think I'm wrong put it below, but I likely won't be persuaded by anything but the most detailed arguments that this isn't perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment