Welcome to the meandering musical insights of Aaron Joy (me!), formerly known as the Roman Midnight Music Blog. Here you'll find nearly 750 reviews of CDs & DVDs of rock & metal in all its variations, mainstream & indie, good & bad, U.S. & foreign. A new review every Monday.

Please share these reviews & feel free to copy them to your website or link to them. No downloads to be found here.

Are you a musician with an album?? Please e-mail me (aronmatyas @ hotmail.com) your album, EPK, etc. Or, hit me up for a physical address (I'm in Portland, Maine). If you don't have an EPK, I have a soft spot for personal handwritten letters from the local musician who just plays around town. I'm a bassist & do this blog partly to share music I love & partly to help the little guy, like myself, just looking for some attention. Promo companies are always welcomed to reach out.

You can support this blog by buying my books via amazon, or your local bookseller, or seeing my website www.aaronjoyauthor.weebly.com.

February 6, 2023

John Payne & Erik Norlander's Dukes Of The Orient ~ Dukes Of The Orient (aka debut) (album review) ... Asia Featuring John Payne ends in glory!


Style: prog rock, hard rock
Label: Frontiers.
Year: 2018

Home: California

Members: John Payne ~ lead vocals/guitars/bass
Erik Norlander ~ keyboards/b. vocals


Additional: Jay Schellen ~ drums
Guthrie Govan, Bruce Bouillet, Jeff Kollman, Moni Scaria ~ guitars
Molly Rogers ~ strings


After the death of original Asia frontman John Wetton, the band Asia Featuring John Payne was retired ... only to be soon reborn as the Dukes Of The Orient with a much anticipated debut album on the home run making label Frontiers Music. I say 'home run', as while there's been albums they've released I've not personally liked, I honestly can't think of anything I've heard that wasn't top notch quality, particularly from older musicians who have been on the scene for decades. Frontiers is great when a musician needs a bit of a re-invention, or shot of inspiration to get back to doing what they do best. Since keyboardist Geoff Downes left Asia to join the re-union of the original line-up, leaving Wetton successor John Payne to carry on as Asia Featuring John Payne, recordings had been numerous by the reunion group but few by the Payne led version. Honestly, I wish it was the opposite. I liked some of what I heard by the re-united original Asia, but there was a lot of filler & a lot of it sounded more like Wetton-Downes than a group effort, while I liked most of what I heard by Asia Feat. John Payne but just wanted more. Payne's writing has always been top-notch & I would propose maybe better than the early overly commercial Asia hits. I also love his deep voice far better than Wetton's. I think he has one of the strongest baritones in the rock world, even more so than Paul Rodgers. While Downes successor in keyboardist Erik Norlander might just be one of the best prog-rock keyboardists on the scene of the last decade. His solo effects I have reviewed here & highly recommend. I also have felt Downes might be a good composer, but he always had a light touch to my ears. Norlander is much more willing to take musical chances & brought a heavier non-commercial feel to the Asia sound. Maybe I'm biased. A decade after first discovering Norlander I can recall many of his keyboard bits, whereas I can't hum a single note I've ever heard Downes play, including from Yes & the Buggles. Thus, every bit of new music from Payne, Norlander & company, even if under a new name & classy retro look, is exciting & much welcomed. Yes, the self-title debut by the Dukes Of The Orient lives up to expectations. There is a fine line between the two entities. Payne & Norlander are now the primary members of the Dukes, but are joined by some past members of Asia Feat John Payne & Asia. While the album includes "Seasons Will Change", which was released years earlier with a video under the name of Asia Feat. John Payne. Its thus hard to persuasively argue that the Dukes is not essentially Asia. Though, I do not know how much else on the album dates from pre-Duke recording sessions. There could be a lot or a little, so that missing info will sway me to if I see this as Dukes or Asia with a new name. For years there was talk of a new Asia Feat. John Payne album tentatively named Americana, so is this those lost recordings? I don't know. For the sake of argument, for a moment let's say there is no difference between the two groups. In that case, thank you god for aligning the stars to have Payne & company release this album. Now, let's say outside some overlap Dukes is a new musical entity. In that case, thank you god for keeping alive the sound of Payne & company that so many of us have enjoyed & supported, even saw in concert (in the famed Manhattan concert of only Payne & Norlander where his keyboard's computer rebooted mid-solo). Asia Feat. John Payne was a powerhouse group making some amazing heavy prog that I didn't hear elsewhere, while Payne's voice hasn't aged a day. When he would sing "Military Man" with earlier line-ups of Asia you felt like he was a proud soldier in the heat of battle, far different than so many of his prog peers who sang with more a cosmic feeling regardless of the lyrical content. When he laments here of "Strange Days" you can feel his heart tearing from his chest. I find myself singing along even. It helps that the album isn't full of cliched cliched songs of love or typical rock odes to one's lustful desires. He has something to sing about & put his heart into. "Brother In Arms", "Time Waits For No One", "A Sorrow's Crown", "A Fourth Of July," "Give Another Reason" are the titles on the Dukes album. Out of 8 songs that's a lot that don't give any hint that this will be a bang bang girl guy cock rock song. As he sings in the rockin' "Brother In Arms": "In this life / do not forsake me / scorch the land of misery ... My brother in arms / I cannot take anymore  ... My brother in arms / why are we fighting this war." Powerful stuff, made even better with a great ascending melody the shows how strong Payne's vocals are. Thus, what was started with Asia continues here without any shortcuts, via great emotional singing & unpredictable musical landscapes. The Dukes craft songs where every instrument contributes to the groove, versus just a bland riff or a beat with some solos. These are well crafted songs that sound inspired. I enjoyed this album when it debuted. Listening again years later to write this review, I come away from the experience with the same feeling as the first listen: I'm left breathless, my heart has been pumping a bit faster, my emotions exhausted after a wonderful musical journey. Its an experience, not just music to listen to in the background. The Dukes website reads: "If you like albums such as Aqua, Aura, or Silent Nation then Dukes Of The Orient is for you!" Honestly, I think this is far better than all three of those album, as Dukes Of The Orient take it up a notch with less filler, a harder edge & more memorable songs. This is the Asia Feat John Payne you've been waiting for, now staking their royal claim.

No comments:

Post a Comment