Welcome to the meandering musical insights of Aaron Joy (me!), formerly known as the Roman Midnight Music Blog. Here you'll find nearly 750 reviews of CDs & DVDs of rock & metal in all its variations, mainstream & indie, good & bad, U.S. & foreign. A new review every Monday.

Please share these reviews & feel free to copy them to your website or link to them. No downloads to be found here.

Are you a musician with an album?? Please e-mail me (aronmatyas @ hotmail.com) your album, EPK, etc. Or, hit me up for a physical address (I'm in Portland, Maine). If you don't have an EPK, I have a soft spot for personal handwritten letters from the local musician who just plays around town. I'm a bassist & do this blog partly to share music I love & partly to help the little guy, like myself, just looking for some attention. Promo companies are always welcomed to reach out.

You can support this blog by buying my books via amazon, or your local bookseller, or seeing my website www.aaronjoyauthor.weebly.com.

June 25, 2021

Rankelson ~ The Bastards of Rock 'N' Roll (album review) ... Bringing evil to your door!


Style: hard rock, heavy metal, glam metal, NWOBHM
Label: Ebony
Year: 1987
Home: Britain

Members: Col "Zack" Sergeant ~ vocals
Fox ~ guitar
Kim Hooker ~ bass
Kerry Loveluck ~ drums
Ric Ferrar ~ keyboards



A lot of '80's rock is flashy, yet I find not enough is gutsy. Gutsy as in Iron Maiden & Judas Priest gutsy. Leading with the groin masculine gutsy, not leading with the groin pretty boy faux-gutsy. Gutsy as in 'I want something & going after it, so don't stand in my way.' British glam rockers Rankelson, which was a random find on youtube & a band I didn't know, is so gutsy. They are a breathe of fresh hair from so many of their peers. Its thus a shame they only made 2 albums & broke up a year after this one came out. Their bassist would find fame with Tigertailz, but I don't know if they are gutsy. The opener "Make It Love" has great Maiden-esque driving guitar part, while the singer goes on about wanting to make love with the attitude of 'take me or leave me, but I'm not crying over you if you don't want what I got.' There's no broken hearts here or pleading with some chick, just being in control, & come along for the ride or split. Maiden is a frequent musical source here in the bass & guitars, but without sounding completely imitative. At other times I heard a bit of early Twisted Sister, but with the attitude & without the glam. Yet, I'd firmly place this into the New Wave Of British Heavy Metal scene. This is straight on grooving rock with big anthems but without all the cliches like gang vocals, or wild solos, or over the top playing. The solos, overall, where actually a bit subdued, which is one of the few criticisms of the album I have. Some wild guitar parts would have been a good addition, as there is moments the songs begin to drone into each other without distinction & need a push. A bass run might happen or a drum part might roll, but a little more guitar would have thrown these guys over the top I believe. Yet, the droning music is kept vibrant by the vocalist. He goes through numerous vocal styles I rarely hear outside of Alice Cooper, Jizzy Pearl & Jon Oliva. There's no '80's tenor screaming, but instead gruff voices & normal ones. Its unpredictable & gives some much needed variety to the music. Most bands don't have a singer like this. The biggest downfall of the album is the keyboard heavy ballad "Rock The World", but I like the singing. It tries for toning down the Maiden groove, but that's what this band does best. It tries to be a big anthem, but doesn't have the power the other songs do, ironically. Its a minor weak point on an otherwise good album. "Lovemaker" tries for a mystical feeling ballad. It is a bit out of place, but works better than "Rock The World." It has the best solo on the album that just soars, though still a bit too cautiously. Rankelson churn out 40 minutes of music &, even with the faults, I'd love to hear more! Its hard to sound original in the '80's mold, but these guys were doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment