Welcome to the meandering musical insights of Aaron Joy (me!), formerly known as the Roman Midnight Music Blog. Here you'll find nearly 750 reviews of CDs & DVDs of rock & metal in all its variations, mainstream & indie, good & bad, U.S. & foreign. A new review every Monday.

Please share these reviews & feel free to copy them to your website or link to them. No downloads to be found here.

Are you a musician with an album?? Please e-mail me (aronmatyas @ hotmail.com) your album, EPK, etc. Or, hit me up for a physical address (I'm in Portland, Maine). If you don't have an EPK, I have a soft spot for personal handwritten letters from the local musician who just plays around town. I'm a bassist & do this blog partly to share music I love & partly to help the little guy, like myself, just looking for some attention. Promo companies are always welcomed to reach out.

You can support this blog by buying my books via amazon, or your local bookseller, or seeing my website www.aaronjoyauthor.weebly.com.

May 28, 2021

Black Tongue ~ Nadir (album review) ... Metal never sounded so vicious!


Style: sludge metal, heavy metal, doom metal
Label: self-released
Year: 2018
Home: Hull, England

Members: n/a


I earlier reviewed Black Tongue's debut Falsifier. I enjoyed it's arrangements & fierce sound so much that when my eye came upon this second album by them I wanted to hear it. Coming 5 years later this is a full length, versus the 22 minute debut EP. How does the double length album of 10 songs, including a cover of a Celtic Frost song, hold up? The band remains a gigantic beast of sludgy doomy proportions. I said in the earlier review that they had a dropped tuning that is so heavy it causes the earth's orbit to wobble. They haven't lightened up any, so if you like the sound of their debut you'll hear more of the same here. I'd also previously commented that I liked the arrangements, which really stood out for me as making Black Tongue unique. I don't know if this is the same line-up, but its obvious the same care has been put into making this just as much a great musical  experience as their debut. Yet, its not exactly the same. They've stretched out a bit, quite literally, as they explore the slow deep menacing end of their sound. They've kept to what works, but also tried to find ways to make the most out of their sound. Thus, what comes across as a mold of limited variables is pushed to the limit. At times are slow gloom that crawl like a zombie ("The Eternal Return To Ruin"), while other times its a thrashy onslaught ("The Cathedral") that reminded me of a heavier Satyricon. Black Tongue is showing you all sides of their personality here & its a surprise with every song. I particularly like how they've doubled up on the vocals ("The Eternal Return To Ruin", "The Cathedral", "Crippled Before the Dwelling Place of God"), even with moments where lines are spoken ("Black Fawn Temple"). Its an effect that adds a great layer to this monster, let alone accentuates the agony of the lyrics. A perfect addition. "Second Death" I recommend to anyone who likes brutal metal that is actually quite frightening in a way comparable to Cradle Of Filth. I think its all in the vocals, but seriously what ever they are doing it works. To return to the beginning of this review, this album might be longer but its not a disappointing. Every minute is a pleasure. This is a must hear. Your ears will thank you, if they aren't traumatized by it. Also, to note, they cover Celtic Frost's "A Dying God Coming Into Human Flesh" from 2006. I am not familiar with their music, but hunted up the original to compare. This is a great cover. Or, let me rephrase that. This is a cover? They've done a great job duplicating the song, almost like its Celtic Frost doing an early version of the song or a demo. I was impressed when comparing versions. On the whole, the track is very different from the other songs on the album, making it feel more like a bonus track than part of the cohesive whole. I wouldn't mind hear more of this side of the band, or even letting this cover inspire them as they make new music.

No comments:

Post a Comment