Welcome to the meandering musical insights of Aaron Joy (me!), formerly known as the Roman Midnight Music Blog. Here you'll find nearly 750 reviews of CDs & DVDs of rock & metal in all its variations, mainstream & indie, good & bad, U.S. & foreign. A new review every Monday.

Please share these reviews & feel free to copy them to your website or link to them. No downloads to be found here.

Are you a musician with an album?? Please e-mail me (aronmatyas @ hotmail.com) your album, EPK, etc. Or, hit me up for a physical address (I'm in Portland, Maine). If you don't have an EPK, I have a soft spot for personal handwritten letters from the local musician who just plays around town. I'm a bassist & do this blog partly to share music I love & partly to help the little guy, like myself, just looking for some attention. Promo companies are always welcomed to reach out.

You can support this blog by buying my books via amazon, or your local bookseller, or seeing my website www.aaronjoyauthor.weebly.com.

September 19, 2022

RandyxLahey ~ Wasted Years (EP) (album review) ... A shitty short album of the not-Trailer Park Boys!

Style: grindcore, powerviolence, extreme metal
Label: self-released
Year: 2020
Home: Ontario, Canada

Members: n/a 

 

 

Albums like this make me laugh, because they are beyond absurd. Myself & everyone else likely spotted this band due to their name being a reference to partners Randy & Mr. Lahey on the great TV show Trailer Park Boys. I used to watch that show & loved it so much. I even saw Randy, Mr. Lahey & the boys twice in concert, with my belated girlfriend who introduced me to the show. The facebook page of the band describes this band as "drunk as fuck trailer park supervisor screaming about a bunch of stupid shit". There's nothing here lyrically that would paint this as ravings of a drunk trailer park supervisor, so that's bullshit P.R.. If the musicians themselves are drunk, only they know. As for screaming about a bunch of stupid shit? That's accurate. Screaming about stupid shit is the lyrical content of this album in a nutshell. Not creative TV related shit, but just shit. Their demo album actually has the word "shit" in every song title, which is Mr. Lahey-like, but that theme is dropped here. As for the music itself, its just pounding double bass & overly distorted guitars bursting through likely 3 chord songs underneath the screaming. There's very little variation among any of the songs. I can imagine the singer was hoarse after recording this, as there's no attempt to sing, just scream. As for what he sings? I'm not sure most of the time, as most of the songs are just a few couplets of rather unimaginative phrases. Think in terms of "School" by Nirvana with its handful of words. Its that level of lyric writing, which means absurd lyrics. As for the music its pure anger & energy with minimal creativity, honestly. Its metal at its most absurd & many would say unmusical, but I refuse to go that far. Many bands take this route though, but there is one more thing that makes this absolutely absurd beyond the norm. Wasted Years is the shortest full length album I've ever heard, for this blog or anywhere. The entire album is a total of 3 minutes  19 seconds. Its not an EP, nor 7", but a full length 10 song album. Yes, 10 songs in 3:19. The opener "Dressed All Over" lasts a whole 32 seconds, while "Shitnami Tidal Waves" clocks in at 7 seconds. My big question. If the band is asked to play a gig & told they get 20 minutes, do they say they don't have enough material or write another - if I've done my math right - 17 minutes worth of songs .... which would be 5 more albums worth of 50 songs? There's a joke here. Make up your own punch line. You can find this & the rest of their catalog on bandcamp.

No comments:

Post a Comment