Welcome to the meandering musical insights of Aaron Joy (me!), formerly known as the Roman Midnight Music Blog. Here you'll find nearly 750 reviews of CDs & DVDs of rock & metal in all its variations, mainstream & indie, good & bad, U.S. & foreign. A new review every Monday.

Please share these reviews & feel free to copy them to your website or link to them. No downloads to be found here.

Are you a musician with an album?? Please e-mail me (aronmatyas @ hotmail.com) your album, EPK, etc. Or, hit me up for a physical address (I'm in Portland, Maine). If you don't have an EPK, I have a soft spot for personal handwritten letters from the local musician who just plays around town. I'm a bassist & do this blog partly to share music I love & partly to help the little guy, like myself, just looking for some attention. Promo companies are always welcomed to reach out.

You can support this blog by buying my books via amazon, or your local bookseller, or seeing my website www.aaronjoyauthor.weebly.com.

October 10, 2022

Michael Schenker Group (aka MSG) ~ MSG (aka self-titled) (album review) ... '70's infused rock awesomeness!


Style: hard rock
Label: Chrysalis
Year: 1981
Home: London, England

Members: Michael Schenker ~ lead guitar
Gary Barden ~ vocals
Paul Raymond ~ keyboards/rhythm guitar
Chris Glen ~ bass
Cozy Powell ~ drums

Additional: Stephen Stills, Billy Nicholls ~ backing vocals


I'll also confess I've never heard anything by Schenker solo or with his group MSG, or with UFO & the Scorpions, except for his one album Assault Attack. I'm a fan of vocalist Graham Bonnet. I really like that album, yet never felt compelled to investigate Schenker further. I came across this second album from MSG & decided to take a listen. More confessions. I expected a blistering guitar onslaught that had foreshadowed '80's glam metal, or maybe something like the blistering Vinnie Vincent Invasion. My expectations were so far misplaced its not even funny. Considered a classic by fans, this is well worth seeking out. One last confession. All my reviews are written after numerous listens. I refuse to post a review before at least two complete spins. Sometimes I hear an album, but will sit on it for a few weeks before listening again. I just know I want to review it, but have other things I want to hear first. Other times I actually have an album spinning for weeks, because I don't know what to say about it. This is one of those cases. Its been at least three weeks since I've come across this album & I've spun it every few days. The reason for this is because ... its really good. Its really really good. Not just did this break all my expectations, but I can hear why folks call it a classic. Yet, I also can't put it into words, which is why I keep spinning it. It has a particular feel that I can't wrap my words around, thus I'm unable to sell the album to you in the way I feel it deserves. At this point I'm just going with what I got & you should just go & listen without delay. Its just as good as Assault Attack, though musically oranges & apples. This is way more laid back. It grooves more than attacks. It has a very '70's feeling. It pre-dates so many of the cliches of the hair metal scene. The trademarks of that sound are missing, so its a really strong melodic album of big riffs & interesting vocals, not to overstuffed, not too wild, not trying to fit a template but just making memorable songs. It has the raw feeling that came from Van Halen when they debuted, & like Ratt & Quiet Riot, while having its own feeling like those bands. I thought this might be a guitar noodling album, but absolutely not. Its not show-off, but an actual cohesive band outing. Gary Barden's vocals actually carry many of the songs & keyboards play a strong role. I really like the clean riffs & the fact this isn't in your face solos that are cluttering up the air. At times Schenker might even be under-playing. A few highlights to mention. "Ready To Rock" is the complete opposite of Twisted Sister's "I Wanna Rock". It's more like a guy who is putting on his clothes, combing his hair & chillin' like Fonzie. I'm kinda reminded of Montrose in its feel. He doesn't have to come on too strong, cause he knows how cool he is. "Attack Of The Mad Axeman" has a funky guitar riff that has a very '70's prog feeling. "On & On" is dominated by keyboards that go from Tony Kaye-like chords to a classical verse in something that is very proggy. The guitar takes over for an off the wall solo. It would completely be over the top if it wasn't for Cozy Powell's strong beat that allows both a keyboard dominated song & a crazy solo. Its like the keyboards are just a tease until the big surprise. This is a highlight of the album. There's also the big piano ballad "Never Trust A Stranger" that has that timeless '70's sound before power ballads became more more power than real ballad, or when Queen set the bar of what makes up a ballad. Another highlight of the album.


No comments:

Post a Comment