Welcome to the meandering musical insights of Aaron Joy (me!), formerly known as the Roman Midnight Music Blog. Here you'll find nearly 750 reviews of CDs & DVDs of rock & metal in all its variations, mainstream & indie, good & bad, U.S. & foreign. A new review every Monday.

Please share these reviews & feel free to copy them to your website or link to them. No downloads to be found here.

Are you a musician with an album?? Please e-mail me (aronmatyas @ hotmail.com) your album, EPK, etc. Or, hit me up for a physical address (I'm in Portland, Maine). If you don't have an EPK, I have a soft spot for personal handwritten letters from the local musician who just plays around town. I'm a bassist & do this blog partly to share music I love & partly to help the little guy, like myself, just looking for some attention. Promo companies are always welcomed to reach out.

You can support this blog by buying my books via amazon, or your local bookseller, or seeing my website www.aaronjoyauthor.weebly.com.

June 8, 2013

Joe Satriani ~ Black Swans & Wormhole Wizards (album review) ... When the swans & wizards come home to roost!


Style: instrumental, power metal
Label: Epic
Year: 2010
Home: n/a

Members: Joe Satriani ~ guitar/keyboards/bass
Mike Keneally ~ keyboards
Jeff Campitelli ~ drums
Allen Whitman ~ bass



A part of me just can't get into this album, but at the same time I can't say its a bad album or even that there's anything wrong with it. It's just not my thing. None of the songs jump out or excite me like the first time I heard JS's instant classic Flying In A Blue Dream, on the other hand it doesn't have any of the not so great singing that is both a good & bad blessing on that earlier album. This album also doesn't rock like I want JS to rock & feels very anti-climactic at times with more of a wandering feel than a building up feeling, but he is older & music has changed & he should be forgiven if he wants to slow things down & groove more than scream. I'm reminded of the last album by Jeff Beck which was a low flying affair that was more relaxing than what one might expect from Beck. I also think of Eric Clapton who has gone much more soft blues than pushing himself as he once did. Yet, I also can't help but think of all the other instrumental technical guitar albums I've heard. Here JS isn't showing off, isn't overly technical, isn't blasting the ear drums & paying more attention to developing the rhythm foundation than a lot of solo guitarists do. He's created here a guitar hero's album but without being an in your face guitar hero ... or, to put it another way, he turns in a technical album which doesn't sound overly technical, though it retains all the depth & feeling. Yet, even though I've listened to this numerous times over a couple days & don't hate it, I find the tracks don't jump at me like the earlier album & I come away feeling at a loss. This is probably more because it's not what I'm used to hearing from JS rather than anything about the album itself. Though, there is a lot less variety here which also is one reason it's not grabbing me. Flying In A Blue Dream verged on being too much all over the place, too unfocused, too much variety. This later release may play it too safe in the other direction. It's so safe that many of the lead lines tend to blend in the overall texture so the result is this doesn't sound always like a solo instrumental guitar rock album. But, while many of the tracks blend into each other in sound & feeling, if you work with this album & if it's what you're in the mood for the results you'll enjoy. JS is at a point where he doesn't feel he has to go to us, now its time for us to go to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment