Welcome to the meandering musical insights of Aaron Joy (me!), formerly known as the Roman Midnight Music Blog. Here you'll find nearly 750 reviews of CDs & DVDs of rock & metal in all its variations, mainstream & indie, good & bad, U.S. & foreign. A new review every Monday.

Please share these reviews & feel free to copy them to your website or link to them. No downloads to be found here.

Are you a musician with an album?? Please e-mail me (aronmatyas @ hotmail.com) your album, EPK, etc. Or, hit me up for a physical address (I'm in Portland, Maine). If you don't have an EPK, I have a soft spot for personal handwritten letters from the local musician who just plays around town. I'm a bassist & do this blog partly to share music I love & partly to help the little guy, like myself, just looking for some attention. Promo companies are always welcomed to reach out.

You can support this blog by buying my books via amazon, or your local bookseller, or seeing my website www.aaronjoyauthor.weebly.com.

April 3, 2013

Omniscient Foe ~ Demiurge (EP) (album review) ... A stomach churning metal foe!

Style: black metal, death metal
Label: self-released
Year: 2012
Home: Portland, Maine


Members: Thor ~ vocals
Jan ~ guitars
Ben ~ drums


Stomach churning dark metal is the first description that comes to mind listening to OF's three song debut EP Demiurge. I mean that in the fact that I'm losing my appetite for dinner listening to this dark & nearly demonic metal ... though don't think demonic in the theatrical sense like Mercyful Fate but just when riffing distorted guitars are so heavy the next step down is Hell. "Red Hole" & "Hypersentient Implosive Afterbirth" both charge ahead with almost nauseating double bass drumming - a bit too strong in the mix as they actually drowning out the guitars - & distorted guitars chugging away at top speed. Though, giving it full attention after the shock you actually hear some interesting little riffs that move up & down the fretboard trying to break through their own self-created wall of sound. It's almost like their trying to be melodic, but at the same time trying not to be. "Rat Viscera" has the best riffs & the least onslaught & is proof of my theory. Though, a lot of folks won't get this far, honestly, as the prominent sound of the band, & thus the most attention grabbing or distracting, is the growling gorilla-like vocals that are as coherent as an actual gorilla speaking English. They are less vocals & more a non-melodic thick cloud of sound. Personally, I would leave out the vocals & become an instrumental band, but I understand this is part of the deal with this genre ... & at least they don't pull any fancy punches & just go all the way, as guttural dark as can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment