Welcome to the meandering musical insights of Aaron Joy (me!), formerly known as the Roman Midnight Music Blog. Here you'll find nearly 750 reviews of CDs & DVDs of rock & metal in all its variations, mainstream & indie, good & bad, U.S. & foreign. A new review every Monday.

Please share these reviews & feel free to copy them to your website or link to them. No downloads to be found here.

Are you a musician with an album?? Please e-mail me (aronmatyas @ hotmail.com) your album, EPK, etc. Or, hit me up for a physical address (I'm in Portland, Maine). If you don't have an EPK, I have a soft spot for personal handwritten letters from the local musician who just plays around town. I'm a bassist & do this blog partly to share music I love & partly to help the little guy, like myself, just looking for some attention. Promo companies are always welcomed to reach out.

You can support this blog by buying my books via amazon, or your local bookseller, or seeing my website www.aaronjoyauthor.weebly.com.

July 22, 2012

Michael Lee ~ Hold On To Heaven (EP) (album review) ... And, let go of the slick music!

Style: glam, rock
Label: self-released
Year: 2010
Home: Houston, Texas

Members: Michael Lee ~ vocals/guitar/keyboards/bass
Steve Bundrick ~ drums/keyboards/bass
John Bundrick ~ keyboards
Paul Vander ~ b. vocals


Additional: Eric Jimenez, Kathy Crumpler ~ b. vocals

  I'll confess I'm not a glam fan, outside of Bowie but he goes beyond glam. I haven't heard as much Marc Bolan as I wish & I like Hanoi Rocks on their final album with Razzle when at their least glammy. I've basically never had a good glam introduction to lead me deeper into its midst. But, I appreciate those who draw up the scene & keep it alive. Hold On To Heaven certainly in the glam tradition, from the look to the music. Lee is certainly not a guitar shredder & this is far from straight alt-pop rock. It's a bit more pop than I typically gravitate to personally, but having said that I was offered some samples from Lee's album by Ariel Publicity & was given a choice whether I wanted to get a CD or not. I heard something in it, though going against my normal grain, to want the CD. Note, I don't ask for music if I don't have plans to review it. Lee crafts a slick album with no rough spots with lush keyboards, soft vocals & melodic guitars that don't dominate with lots of backing vocals. He sings mythical lyrics of love ... dragons, angels & vampires included. While I prefer music less Scissor Sisters & more hard rock, less polished & more real, I do have to give credit to Lee for interesting vocal arrangements that make up for a less than strong voice, while not crafting a typical chunking guitar pop album. A few reviewers have called him an over-the-top 80's flashback. Briny Fox were over the top 80's & Steel Panther are over-the-top flashback 80's. This is not 80's rock, though it might have some new wave in it. I just don't hear the energy of 80's hair metal here. It does cull from the same source, the glam that inspired Hanoi Rocks that inspired the 80's scene single-handedly, which would explain the comparison, but its limiting to call this an 80's throwback. I love 80's music. I know 80's music. This is David Bowie meets HIM. Lee might not be a glam fan, though the eye make-up says differently, but if this is his interpretation of 80's he's coming through the back door. He's getting the essence of the 80's & the same roots, but with a different shade of pomp & circumstance. Hard rockers won't care for it, but those that like something a bit sweeter & softer & lyrically intimate versus biting, Lee is worth checking out. The album was engineered & drums were provided by Steve Bundrick of the Alice Cooper band. His uncle John "Rabbit" Bundrick appears on a couple tracks. Rabbit has played with the Who, Johnny Nash, Free & Roger Waters ... & if you don't know his work he also played guitar on the original Rocky Horror Picture Show soundtrack. This is Lee's debut, having since released a follow-up. He made his name as a two time Emmy nominated TV editor & producor ranging from E! True Hollywood Story to Super Bowl post-game wrap-ups.

No comments:

Post a Comment