Welcome to the meandering musical insights of Aaron Joy (me!), formerly known as the Roman Midnight Music Blog. Here you'll find nearly 750 reviews of CDs & DVDs of rock & metal in all its variations, mainstream & indie, good & bad, U.S. & foreign. A new review every Monday.

Please share these reviews & feel free to copy them to your website or link to them. No downloads to be found here.

Are you a musician with an album?? Please e-mail me (aronmatyas @ hotmail.com) your album, EPK, etc. Or, hit me up for a physical address (I'm in Portland, Maine). If you don't have an EPK, I have a soft spot for personal handwritten letters from the local musician who just plays around town. I'm a bassist & do this blog partly to share music I love & partly to help the little guy, like myself, just looking for some attention. Promo companies are always welcomed to reach out.

You can support this blog by buying my books via amazon, or your local bookseller, or seeing my website www.aaronjoyauthor.weebly.com.

February 13, 2011

Heavy Glow ~ The Filth & The Fury (EP) (album review) ... The clean up crew sets to work!


Style: blues-rock
Label: self-released
Year: 2010
Home: San Diego, California

Members: Jared Mullins ~ vocals/guitar
Joe Brooks ~ bass
Dan Kurtz ~ drums
With a chunk of classic Americana rock & blues thrown into the hard rock pot & stirred, Heavy Glow has turned out a incredibly delicious groovy stew ... with groove being a particularly important spicy ingredient. Gov't Mule might be a good reference for some people, albeit HG are less bluesy but just as gritty with the pop sensibilities & wild to calm experimental guitar solos of Hendrix. I sometimes struggle to describe music & could go on saying who HG is like, but eventually such descriptions inherently fail, so instead I just highly recommend checking out their EP. Musicians will find this a particularly tasty brew as a high caliber of ability & talent cut across the five songs with some incredible down & dirty yet at times sky searing guitar solos - though, don't think power metal as this is more Page than Satriani - that include untraditional playing techniques while the rhythm section keeps the pace steaming along. Actually, I'll boldly say that HG has some of the best guitar solos I've heard since the last time I was listening to Richie Blackmore. Albeit, though this is a great EP I do find this particular style of music becoming repetitive where the songs begin to blend into each other ... that's not a detriment to the music but simply of reflection of my tastes & first impressions listening. There's a rather heavy handed template used quite religiously keeping all the songs in the same mold & with the same feel. For an EP the result is a strong little album, but I bring this point up because I wonder how well the music would lend itself to a full-length CD. Further, in this era of music most of us are often doing other things while listening to music. It's a minority of music lovers that stop everything to listen to a CD all the way through to hear all the nuances without doing anything else, including breathing. While, though I don't have one, I see too many people hitting their ipod when they get bored with a song to find the next distraction. It might be more difficult than ever to keep an listener's interest these days. While The Filth & The Fury is a wonderful album for musicians who will find the solos great to dig into, for the casual listener the template might need a little variety the day a full-length CD is birthed. Also of note to the musicians reading the entire album was recorded live over a few hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment