Welcome to the meandering musical insights of Aaron Joy (me!), formerly known as the Roman Midnight Music Blog. Here you'll find nearly 750 reviews of CDs & DVDs of rock & metal in all its variations, mainstream & indie, good & bad, U.S. & foreign. A new review every Monday.

Please share these reviews & feel free to copy them to your website or link to them. No downloads to be found here.

Are you a musician with an album?? Please e-mail me (aronmatyas @ hotmail.com) your album, EPK, etc. Or, hit me up for a physical address (I'm in Portland, Maine). If you don't have an EPK, I have a soft spot for personal handwritten letters from the local musician who just plays around town. I'm a bassist & do this blog partly to share music I love & partly to help the little guy, like myself, just looking for some attention. Promo companies are always welcomed to reach out.

You can support this blog by buying my books via amazon, or your local bookseller, or seeing my website www.aaronjoyauthor.weebly.com.

July 3, 2010

Beyond Fear ~ Beyond Fear (aka debut) (album review) ... From Judas Priest, into the unknown!


Style: heavy metal
Label: Steamhammer/SPV
Year: 2006
Home: Akron, Ohio

Members: Tim "Ripper" Owens ~ vocals
John Comprix ~ lead guitar
Dwane Bihary ~ rhythm guitar
Dennis Hayes ~ bass
Eric Elkins ~ drums

 



I actually did not know Tim Ripper Owens, famed Rob Halford imitator & his replacement in Judas Priest, let alone front man for Iced Earth & Yngwie J. Malmsteen, fronts this band when I picked it up. I was going off of the metal-ness of the name. So, having already given away who sings you'll already know what the vocals are like - Judas Priest with all the highs & lows. I'll confess that I love Owen's two albums with Judas Priest & in many ways I prefer his vocals over Halford. Halford has a tendency to go over the top while Owens is much more grounded in his music. Owens is the gorilla to Halford's flying monkey. But, behind Owens is a firm crunch of densely rhythmic guitars on triple time, not too bloated with layers or solos, with a very strong rhythmic backbone. Opener "Scream Machine" is a great song that had it been recorded by Priest alongside "Breaking The Law" would now be a verifiable classic. That being said, the traditional metal elements are here, but this is far harder & truly metal of the new era of modern giants. Every song on this album is a meltdown headbanging classic. I can imagine that a live show would have been pure demolition. This is a great album that probably got overlooked due to the Judas Priest connection but deserves more attention than anything he did with Priest & maybe even Iced Earth. This is a warhorse addition to any music collection.


No comments:

Post a Comment