Welcome to the meandering musical insights of Aaron Joy (me!), formerly known as the Roman Midnight Music Blog. Here you'll find nearly 750 reviews of CDs & DVDs of rock & metal in all its variations, mainstream & indie, good & bad, U.S. & foreign. A new review every Monday.

Please share these reviews & feel free to copy them to your website or link to them. No downloads to be found here.

Are you a musician with an album?? Please e-mail me (aronmatyas @ hotmail.com) your album, EPK, etc. Or, hit me up for a physical address (I'm in Portland, Maine). If you don't have an EPK, I have a soft spot for personal handwritten letters from the local musician who just plays around town. I'm a bassist & do this blog partly to share music I love & partly to help the little guy, like myself, just looking for some attention. Promo companies are always welcomed to reach out.

You can support this blog by buying my books via amazon, or your local bookseller, or seeing my website www.aaronjoyauthor.weebly.com.

March 19, 2010

Lindsey Buckingham ~ Go Insane (album review) ... Yet, the guitar already went insane for you!


Style: rock, new wave
Label: Reprise/Waner Music Group
Year: 1984
Home: California

Members: Lindsey Buckingham ~ guitars/ bass/keyboards/percussion/organ/vocals

Additional: Gordon Fordyce ~ keyboards
Bryant Simpson ~ bass

 

You never know what you'll get with a LB solo album, which is often their biggest draw as they tend to be hit & miss affairs. Hit being startling great songs, the misses being fragmentary ideas that are too obsessed with studio wizardry & not enough focused on listenable arrangements. Further, his solo albums rarely show the lyrical depth he had with Fleetwood Mac. This second solo release hits the highs ... & lows ... of both those points. 'I Want You' & 'Go Insane' could be Fleetwood Mac. While, 'Play In The Rain' is an example of a game of studio sound effect manipulation with no reigns. The vinyl version even had a locked groove that kept the last notes going, only to begrudgingly return to a 'Part 2' on Side 2 when all you want to do is get to the next song. What the record label thought upon hearing this one wonders. Indeed, Go Insane hits the highs & the lows & the lows & the lows & the ... LB is known for loving the world of the studio & what he can do in it. His albums are his children. He makes them for himself & not for chart positions. This is a sad case because when he has a successful solo album it doesn't get heard like it should. The first LB album I ever found was in a discount bin & it's the album many critics consider to be his best. I think of David Byrne as a comparable musician in many ways, in approach, musical style, experimentation & lack of chart success. Proof is that when LB went to put out a new studio album, the label said they never sold & would only take a Fleetwood Mac album. Thus, the reunion was born & only then after a live & a studio album did his solo work finally hit the shelves & then only riding the coattails of a tour. But, for whatever the lows of his albums, my focus on later day Fleetwood Mac has always been LB. I consider the pre-LB & Stevie Nicks band a different band. I saw Fleetwood Mac in concert at the Garden last year & the highlights for me were a couple solo spots by LB where he just let things rip. I'd see him again. Fleetwood Mac is just a nostalgia band. If they came back I'd bring my spouse whose a Stevie Nicks fan. But, I've 'done' the show. The fact that they didn't play anything from their 'newest' album (i.e Say You Will) - 'new' being 7 years old - nor anything since 1987's Tango In The Night, though two albums followed albeit sans LB & Nicks ... I'd love to see a LB solo concert as I'm sure it would be full of vitality. He's a greatly under-rated guitarist with a choppy style all his own with a tired but emotive singing style that's a perfect match ... & he's even got a classy looking guitar. When he plays he shines. When he twiddles nobs he experiments. But, if you're a die-hard collector like me you buy the good with the bad just to hear something. Lindsay always promises new, without doubt & that's what we want to hear. Go insane is the perfect title as he does. He may not be seen as a guitar god, but he's definitely an inspiration.




No comments:

Post a Comment