Welcome to the meandering musical insights of Aaron Joy (me!), formerly known as the Roman Midnight Music Blog. Here you'll find nearly 750 reviews of CDs & DVDs of rock & metal in all its variations, mainstream & indie, good & bad, U.S. & foreign. A new review every Monday.

Please share these reviews & feel free to copy them to your website or link to them. No downloads to be found here.

Are you a musician with an album?? Please e-mail me (aronmatyas @ hotmail.com) your album, EPK, etc. Or, hit me up for a physical address (I'm in Portland, Maine). If you don't have an EPK, I have a soft spot for personal handwritten letters from the local musician who just plays around town. I'm a bassist & do this blog partly to share music I love & partly to help the little guy, like myself, just looking for some attention. Promo companies are always welcomed to reach out.

You can support this blog by buying my books via amazon, or your local bookseller, or seeing my website www.aaronjoyauthor.weebly.com.

February 15, 2010

The Killers ~ Sam's Town (album review) ... As much a velvet goldmine as ever!


Style: alt rock, indie, post-punk revival, new wave
Label: Island
Year: 2006
Home: Las Vegas

Members: Brandon Flowers ~ lead vocals/keyboards/bass
Dave Keuning ~ guitar/backing vocals
Mark Stoermer ~ bass/guitar/backing vocals
Ronnie Vannucci ~ drums/percussion

Additional: Adrina Hanson, Maryam Haddad, Tristan Moyer ~ strings
Tommy Marth, Neeraj Khajanchi ~ horns
Corlene Byrd, Louis XIV ~ backing vocals

 

  Besides having brought into the studio my musical icon Lou Reed to record guest vocals on a later album ("Tranquilize"), which is always bonus points in my book, while other bands choose whatever hip-hop artist is the most popular, I've loved these guys since I first heard this album. But, it's a hard band to classify. For me they're reminiscent of goth but on the other hand are could have been on the Velvet Goldmine Soundtrack, though goth & glam are far from distant cousins. A lot of the attraction has to do with the lyrics. They're mysterious & reflective & even erotic & clearly shine of a Reed-Bowie influence with a bit of R.E.M. You're pretty sure you understand the song but you're also pretty sure you don't. Such as in 'When You Were Young' when it's sung: "I said he doesn't look a thing like Jesus/but he talks like a gentleman/when you imagined/when you were young". You're also pretty sure you're singing along without realizing it. This is not a heavy band & is clearly on the punk end of the rock spectrum, which I tend to shy away from, but this is a band I can't help but always turn an ear to. Though, part of it is the fact that they copy the British end of the punk spectrum, i.e. Morrissey, The Smiths, The Cure & The Psychedelic Furs which is so different than it's American Green Day counterpart I don't even think of that music as punk. & I love all those bands. This may not be a heavy metal or hard rock band, but they are so good & shine their individuality so much how can I not stretch the rock spectrum to review them here, particularly since this is such a great album?

No comments:

Post a Comment